Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Discovery Begins...

It had to start someday...and I am happy that I didn't have to wait till eternity to do this. This blog is dedicated to my "roots", the place I come from- Bengal. For long I had been looking for an opportunity to get close to the rich art, culture and heritage of Bengal. But due to the transferable nature of my father's job, my studies and job opportunities, I never got a chance to absorb the rich culture of Bengal.
               Movies are a great way to understand the art and culture of any region. I wish to internalize the art and literature of my "roots" through the lenses of Bengali Cinema which was one of the main pillars of the evolution of Indian cinema. During the period of 1950s-1970s, Bengali Cinema acknowledged its Golden Era. It was during this time that, filmmakers such as academic award winner Satyajit Ray took Bengali cinema across borders. Ray's first film Pather Panchali (1955) won eleven international prizes, including best Human Documentary at the Cannes Film Festival. I wish to start a journey of discovering the "Golden Era of Bengali Cinema" and share my experience in this blog of mine.


               Short Film and documentary film making has been one of my deepest passion. With an objective to learn, I plan to post the best scene according to me of each film I see and make an attempt to understand the thought process of the director behind the scene.Through this journey, I believe, I will evolve as a better storyteller and start appreciating life in an altogether different way...
                I am sure the readers who appreciate cinema, will find value in this blog of mine. "Getting back to roots" will bring insights beyond language and region. For many of my fellow non-bengali friends, this is an opportunity for them to get close to the art of movie making in an unconventional way. This will be a platform to make people aware of "Golden Era of Bengali Cinema" and thrive various discussions regarding the thinking process of the stalwart film makers of that era - an era that has been forgotten by many of us.

10 comments:

  1. Maybe I am not in a position to comment well...But all can say is, When you will exercise your reasons coolly and freely on a variety of distinct questions, you inevitably will fall into different opinions on some of them.But when you are governed by a common passion, then your opinions, if they are to be called, will be the same, And diversity is a key to every blogger's success. ALL THE BEST.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bittu....I would be looking forward to your comments and suggestions..

      Delete
  2. Gopi Gayin Bagha Bayin.... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gopi Gayin Baha Bayin series is certainly there on the list....Will not disappoint you!!!

      Delete
    2. What about Vijay and Viraat by the MAN himself.... :D

      Delete
  3. I think its a brilliant idea for a blog. A good Bengali cinema blog (or as a matter of fact any other regional cinema blog) is very rare to find. Hoping to read more from you soon.
    P.S.: Please also cover Gopi Gayin Baga Bayin..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude..thanks...a very badly needed motivation indeed... Hope you have read my second post on the movie "The world of Apu"....

      Delete
    2. Kaisa hai re Beng..... :D :D

      Delete
  4. For a pseudo bengali this blog will surely allow me to find dbongconnection!!!! Gud stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete